Sunday, June 07, 2009

1 vs 100 impressions

I was expecting to enjoy playing the new 1 vs 100 Live game on my 360 for about an hour -- I was plesantly surprised to have both me and my wife enjoying it for the full 3 hour broadcast last night.

Trivia shows are something that non-gamers can get into. My wife, a casual gamer, was worried about her reaction time at first, but by the end of the show she was beating both my brother and I (who can finish Ikaruga, amongst other "hardcore" qualifications) to the punch. I'm hoping to get my father involved with the next Live show.

As things currently stand, this is the best use of the 360's Live network to date -- a game that anyone can play, and something we got to experience with just shy of 100,000 other players last night. Hopefully this is just a taste of what Microsoft plans to do on a wide scale. Forget MAG -- this is the definitive new massively-multiplayer game of the generation. I'm not saying for an instant that it will (or is trying to) compete with the likes of WoW and The Old Republic...but your grandmother isn't going to enjoy playing those games, either.

This is obviously Microsoft's answer to Nintendo's casual-market heavy software -- and it's incredible. I'm eager to see what Sony and Nintendo will have in response...100,000 people playing a beta warrants a rebuttal.

No comments: